Most companies understand that their employees may need to take additional work to support their families. Just:
1. Tell your boss about your plans.
2. Work on your free time — weekends, after work.
3. Don’t use company resources. This includes your work computer and email.
4. Make sure that your freelance work does not compete with company interests.
5. Maintain excellent job performance. Don’t give your boss reason to believe that your freelance work is interfering with your ability to do your job well.