Link bait refers to any type of online content or web site feature that is specifically made to draw people’s attention and encourage other web sites to link to it. Link bait is a very important part of web marketing because the more links are attached to a certain content or feature in a web site the higher it will rank in search engine results, which is the ultimate goal of any web site owner.
If you plan to create link bait for your site, here are some great tips you can follow.
• Topic. An interesting topic is absolutely essential and is probably the most important thing you should consider when writing link bait. Even relatively dull topics can be made exciting or interesting depending on how you slant it. So think of a good way of attracting readers with your topic.
• Title. A good title is one of the best hooks to make people take interest in your link bait. Learn how to make punchy headlines that present a very interesting angle to your article. Sensationalism may be a cheap method but it is still the most effective way of generating interesting titles so use it without feeling guilty. A thought-provoking question used as a title is also equally effective. But even if a good title is a great step in the right direction, you should still take care not to go overboard because too much and you’ll turn off your readers. When thinking of headlines or titles go to the extreme then pull back a little, that’s a happy medium.
• Hooks. A link bait is essentially a way of hooking people’s attention and compelling them to actually take the time to read your article. Think of a good hook that you can use. There are many methods you can employ, like saying that the article is the first to discuss the topic or that it talks of the most essential things.
• Write a killer opening. Internet readers are notorious for browsing articles first before committing to reading the full article. If you want them to stay and read your article, write a great opening that will entice them to finish reading the whole piece.
• Social bookmarks. After you’ve written your link bait attract more readers by submitting it to social bookmarking sites like digg.com or Stumbleupon. Social bookmarking sites have millions of members and if your article goes viral there you’ll definitely get loads of traffic.
Photo from seohosting.com