Friday the 13th does not happen often – maybe once or twice in a year. In 2010, this will happen only once, on August 13.
The number 13 is widely held to be an unlucky number, and Friday has been considered unlucky even way back in medieval times. Combine these two superstitions together, and you have one of the strongest superstitious beliefs ever.
A few reasons why 13 and Fridays are considered unlucky:
• A coven of witches has 13 members.
• In tarot cards, the 13th card is the Death Card.
• There are 13 knots in a hangman’s noose.
• Friday is the day that Adam and Eve supposedly ate the forbidden fruit.
• Friday is the day that Jesus Christ died on the cross.